Doing nails at home is a practical way to save money if done carefully. However, sometimes some instruments used in this process need to be adjusted, as they may not be in their best state for use.
It is sometimes possible to repair that blunt pliers. However, there is no need to worry, because adjusting this instrument is very easy, and it can be done with materials that we find in our home.
Below, we list some tips on how to sharpen nail pliers, inexpensively and without having to leave the house.
1. How to sharpen nail pliers using nail file
The first tip is the simplest of how to sharpen nail pliers. To perform this first technique you need nothing but a nail file, it can be disposable or metal.
Once you have the material in hand, just follow the steps:
- To start, you need to open the slide, choose a side and support it on a surface.
- Using the sandpaper, rub the pliers repeatedly.
- When you notice that the sanded side of the blade is already sharpened, repeat the process on the other side.
Sharpening both sides at once is also possible, to do this place the sandpaper between the two blades. This technique does not need any special sandpaper, the disposable version serves as well as the metal one. However, the metal sandpaper will suffer less damage than the disposable one.
To better understand this procedure, see the video below:
2. How to sharpen nail pliers using a file
The file is a tool formed by a hard steel rod with grooves. It is commonly used to rough out other parts, made of softer metals. So there is an excellent way to sharpen nail pliers that surrounds the file.
To perform this procedure, just follow the steps below:
- First you need to open the pliers and support it on some surface
- Choose one side of the blade to start and use the file to sharpen it smoothly.
- Start sharpening the inside of the blade that is supported.
- Then close the pliers and sharpen the outside of the chosen side.
- When you are done with the first side, go to the second side and repeat the process.
Remember that the file you are going to use must be boring. It can be manual or mechanical. That way, you’ll have perfect pliers without having to buy a new one.
In the following video you can see a demonstration of how to perform this technique:
3. How to sharpen nail pliers using aluminum foil
Another technique of how to sharpen simple nail pliers, is using a material that many have at home, but do not use that much: aluminum. For this, it is recommended that you separate scissors.
After separating the necessary materials, just follow the step by step below:
- First, using scissors, cut a piece of aluminum foil. The size that will be used is approximately the same as that of a sulfite sheet.
- Then form a drumstick with your hand, joining your fingers, wrap it in aluminum foil. Note that the matte part must face upwards.
- After the previous step, remove the foil from your hand and crumple it. It should be in the shape of a ball, very firm.
- Using the pliers, gently and lightly, cut the ball.
- You must repeat this process until the ball is very small.
However, for this technique to work properly, it is necessary to cut the aluminum foil ball lightly and delicately. If this is not done, the nail pliers will not be sharp.
At the end of the procedure, it is important to wash your hands so that the aluminum foil will be removed from your skin.
The following video explains in detail how to perform this nuisance method:
4. How to sharpen nail pliers on the emery
Emery is a stone widely used to polish metals, precious stones and other materials. It is commonly seen in the shape of a grinding wheel, a rotating disk attached to the axis of an electric motor.
Therefore, performing this method of sharpening nail pliers is not that easy. It is necessary to have technique and be very careful.
If you choose to follow this procedure, the steps are as follows:
- To start, you need to turn on the grinder and then open the pliers.
- Then, touch the inside of the pliers to the emery, very gently.
- Then, close the pliers and sharpen the outer parts of it.
- Finally, test the wire on the pliers. Using a straightened bag, make cuts with the pliers. If he doesn’t pull the bag when the cut is finished, then he is ready.
For those people who already have emery at home, there will be no problems in how to use the equipment, or in performing this procedure.
Remember that the movements must be delicate and that there is no need to rush. This reduces the risk of damaging your pliers.
Check out the video below how this technique is done:
5. How to sharpen nail pliers using a glass jar
Another material that is widely used in techniques such as sharpening nail pliers at home are glass jars. To perform this procedure, the steps are:
- Start by taking a glass jar, which has a screw cap, and remove the cap.
- Then, place the open pliers on the top side of the pot.
- With the pliers in position, make slight opening movements.
- To ensure that the pliers are being sharpened, repeat the procedure.
If you can, separate some material on which you can test the pliers and keep it close to you. In this way, it will be possible to repeat the procedure until the pliers are very sharp.
This technique is presented in the video below. Go ahead and check it out!
6. How to sharpen nail pliers using a needle
Using a needle is as easy a way to sharpen nail pliers as using a file. In this case, the procedure is very similar. However, it is not possible to sharpen the two blades of the instrument at the same time.
The walkthrough is as follows:
- Prepare a needle, preferably thick.
- Rub the inner part of the blades on the needle several times. The movements must go up and down.
- The procedure must be repeated until the pliers are sharpened.
It is important that tests are performed, while the pliers are sharpened, to achieve the desired result. In addition, this technique also works for sharpening scissors.
Check out in the video below how the technique is performed:
7. How to sharpen nail pliers using hammer and file
The technique of sharpening nail pliers using a hammer and a file is a little more laborious. If you choose to use these materials, the steps are as follows:
- To start, position the pliers firmly. Then, tap the end of the pliers with the hammer until it is straight.
- Then, take the file and rub it in a straight way on the pliers’ blades.
- If the blade is not really sharp, repeat the process until the desired result is obtained.
It is important to remember that the hand must be very firm, thus, the chances of accidents occurring are minimized when sharpening the pliers.
In addition to sharpening the blades, this technique can disorient pliers that have fallen and are damaged. Therefore, at the end of this procedure, it is possible to have straight and sharp nail pliers, as if it were new.
Check out the video explaining this technique below:
Care when performing techniques
Regardless of the method of sharpening nail pliers you choose, you must be very careful, both with the materials and with yourself.
When handling tools, especially pliers, be careful with the tip, as it can cause not only harmless cuts, but also harmful ones. In addition, special protective materials must be used when grinding the pliers with a grinder.
When finishing any procedure, don’t forget to clean the place to get rid of the dirt made by the materials. Don’t forget to wash your hands as well.
Were tips on sharpening nail pliers helpful? If you have a suggestion or criticism, leave it in the comments!