Cod is a traditional dish for the holidays, although it can be served at any time. This type of salted fish is packed with nutrients and can be easily combined with any accompaniment.
However, before preparing any dish, you need to know how to desalt the cod. Thus, it is possible to make better use of the taste of this fish, since the indication is that it is bought dry and well salted, and on the eve of the preparation of the recipe, the food must be desalted.
Therefore, we have separated some tips on how to perform this procedure and selected some videos to further instruct you. Keep reading to learn all about how to desalter cod.
To start, you need to buy the cod. Choose your piece well, because the ideal is that it has up to 1 kg and is fresh. So be careful when choosing where to buy.
If the cod has more than 1 kg, the desalting process will have to be done repeatedly. This is because the fish will have to be divided for the procedure to work.
How to desalt cod using salt – that’s right: using salt!
Now, to start the process of how to desalter cod, you need to wash it using running water. Make use of plenty of water, without fear of rubbing the fish several times. Thus, it is possible to ensure that the salt layer comes off.
When the salt is completely removed from the outside, proceed to remove the salt completely. To do this, just follow the steps below:
- Cut the cod into pieces, medium or small, and, in a pan with water, place the pieces so that they are completely covered by the water.
- Then mix 3 to 4 spoons full of salt. Thus, a reaction will happen and the salt that is contained in the cod will come out completely in the already salted water.
- After everything is mixed, let the fish boil for at least 15 minutes or until a white foam forms on the top of the pan. As soon as this occurs, turn off the heat and let the mixture rest for about 2 minutes.
- Finally, drain all the water and, again, wash the fish under running water to remove the excess salt that may have been left in your cod.
At the end of the procedure, taste a piece of the fish. If the salt has not come out completely, redo the entire process. Also, be careful that the fish does not overcook and cut apart.
In the video below, you can follow this procedure:
How to desalt cod with milk
When the how to desalt the fish with salt does not work, it is possible to use milk. So as soon as you have separated the milk, just follow the instructions below:
- After you have done the previous technique until the last step, place the pieces of cod in a pan and cover them with whole milk.
- Bring the pan to medium-high heat, paying close attention so that it does not boil.
- When you notice that the milk has started to bubble, cover the pan and remove it from the heat.
- Let the fish rest in the milk for at least 20 minutes.
During this rest process, don’t forget to try the fish to see if it has reached the desired point. In case you don’t try it, the cod can lose the salt completely.
Below, you can advance the video and see how to follow this technique:
How to desalter cod with ice water
To follow this method of how to desalter cod, it doesn’t take many things. Just a large bowl and running water. As in the previous process, you will need to remove excess salt under running water, and then follow the steps below:
- First, separate a large bowl, with a lid, into which the cod fits. Then, fill the bowl with cold water and dip the fish with the skin facing up.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate it.
- It is important that the water is changed every 3 or 4 hours. Do not forget to check if it is very cold. If necessary, add a few ice cubes to the bowl.
- Finally, to ensure that the fish is desalted and at the desired point, try a small piece of the thickest part of the steak.
It is worth mentioning that the resting time in the water depends on the size of the fish slice and can take a few days. In the case of medium slices, it takes around 24 hours, thick slices take up to 48 hours.
Check out this procedure in the following video:
How to desalt cod with manioc flour
Another technique of how to desalter cod is using manioc flour. It is a quick and practical procedure. After removing excess salt under running water, you must follow the steps below:
- Place the cod in a bowl and cover it with water at room temperature.
- Then, fill a 125 ml cup with the cassava flour and pour it into the bowl. You should use a glass for each half kilo of cod.
- Cover the bowl and let the fish rest in the mixture for 30 minutes. If this time is exceeded, the cod may lose all salt and become tasteless, so pay attention.
- Then, just wash the fish to remove the flour. The recommendation is that you wash it piece by piece under running water.
This is one of the simplest and most practical desalting procedures, especially when you left to buy cod at the last minute. In the following video, you can follow the step by step more carefully:
When you follow a method of desalting cod, remember that each quantity has a specific desalting time, which varies according to the height of the slices. They usually apply when the procedure is done with the aid of the refrigerator. Check the table below:
- Shredded cod: 6 hours (water change every 3 hours);
- Normal stations: 24 hours (water change every 6 hours);
- Thick slices: 40 hours (water change every 8 hours);
- Very thick slices: 48 hours (water change every 8 hours);
- Very thick loins: 72 hours (water change every 8 hours)
Did you like the tips?
Cod is a source of protein, iron, calcium, minerals and other vitamins beneficial to our health. Now, you already know how to desalt cod in different ways and how long you need to wait throughout each process.
Doubts and criticisms are very welcome in the comments section!