Aloe vera is a plant so used in the modern world that it is surprising that someone has never heard of it. Also known by the name Aloe Vera, this vegetable has numerous properties that serve the aesthetic and medicinal universe.
In addition to these utilities, aloe vera also has a beautiful appearance, fitting perfectly in the decoration of houses and apartments. What’s more, it is still very easy to grow and does not take much effort to keep alive.
Thinking about these factors, we decided to prepare some tips for you to learn how to plant aloe, in addition to understanding some of its characteristics.
What are the characteristics of aloe vera?
Part of the family of Liliaceae, aloe vera has a follicular structure very similar to that of cacti. The leaves are firm, easy to break and fleshy, since the inside of them has a viscous and soft liquid. In adulthood, she can produce 15 to 30 leaves per year.
Does Aloe Vera like sun or shade?
From 8 to 10 hours a day, aloe needs to receive a lot of sunlight, although it can be cultivated under half-shade. So, if you intend to have this plant indoors, it is recommended that you place it in a window facing north or east.
If you live in a cold place, remember to remove the vase from the window during the night, as cold areas can kill aloe vera.
How long does it take for aloe to grow?
The growth of aloe vera can take up to two weeks after planting. However, this time can vary depending on the conditions in which the plant is.
One way to ensure that it grows quickly is to choose the right type of soil, which can be sandy or clayey.
Another determining factor for the good growth of the plant is to ensure that the soil is well drained and fertilized.
The fertilizer for aloe vera can be made only by mixing 50% of organic soil, already fertilized, and 50% of sand. If the idea is to grow in pots or planters, it is possible to add clay to the soil, as it helps drain water, which prevents root rot.
Benefits of aloe vera
At the beginning of the text, we emphasize that aloe vera is a plant with several properties that serve as an aesthetic and medicinal solution. Well, know that it is possible to use these characteristics of the plant without having to buy anything, just cutting the leaf.
Check out some of the benefits that aloe vera offers:
- Relieves skin problems, such as acne and burns;
- It is analgesic and anti-inflammatory;
- It is bactericidal;
- It has healing action;
- Helps hydrate skin and hair.
How to plant aloe through the leaf
Now that you know a little more about the peculiarities of this plant, it is time to learn how to plant aloe vera.
Aloe vera can be cultivated in several ways, one of which is through the direct planting of the leaf. To follow this method, follow the step by step below:
- First, you will need to find a plant that is already big enough, measuring at least 8 cm in length.
- With scissors or a knife, cut the sheet into several parts.
- Leave a pot with a separate drain hole and, with the aid of a shovel, fill it with earth and sand.
- Make some small holes in the earth to plant the aloe leaves.
- There is no need to bury these leaves, because the aloe vera needs to be sunk.
- Finally, gently squeeze the substrate around the leaves and water them.
How to plant aloe vera in a pot
If you do not know anyone or any place where there is a possibility to cut plants, the other option is to plant the aloe bud. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Choose a bud that is around the aloe vera and carefully cut the bud with the root together.
- Prepare a large pot, with drainage holes in the bottom, and make the mixture of soil fertilized with sand that will fill it.
- Use a shovel to fill the pot, halfway, with this mixture.
- Then, make a hole in the earth and place your aloe seedlings on it.
- Add a little more of the mixture and gently squeeze the substrate around the sprout.
- At the end, water the seedling and place it in an environment with half-shade.
How to plant aloe vera on the garden floor
Aloe vera can also be very beautiful in the garden, where it can probably grow much more efficiently and quickly, since it will have more space. To carry out this planting at this location, do the following:
- Prepare the garden soil, checking if the substrate already has fertilized soil and sand, if the answer is negative, take the necessary steps so that the place is as suitable as possible for aloe vera.
- So, make a hole in the substrate, it doesn’t need to be too big or too small, just to house the seedling properly.
- Place the aloe seedlings in the hole and fill it with soil.
- Finally, water the seedling planted in the garden.
How to plant aloe vera in the water
Like succulents, aloe vera is a type of succulent in the Lilac family, so it can develop its roots in water. This type of planting can be done either with leaves or with the stem.
In this tip on how to plant aloe vera in the water, we will teach you how to do this using the plant’s leaf. For this, you will need a transparent glass vase and a compatible size, where the root can grow, but the plant does not become wobbly. It must be properly washed with soap.
After the pot is ready, do as the instructions below:
- Choose a single leaf that is healthy enough to propagate.
- The vase, or the container, must be made of transparent glass because it allows sunlight to penetrate through it.
- In the properly washed container, pour with drinking water and, if possible, mineral water. The amount varies depending on the size of the sheet.
- Then, pass a plastic film over the vase and make a hole big enough for the sheet to be fitted.
- Fit only the tip through the hole, as only it should be submerged in water. Do not drown or just touch the surface.
- If the sheet is heavier, the plastic film tends to break in a few days and you will have to redo the process. However, letting the plant drown can kill it.
- Some ways to balance the plant are: using toothpicks, ice cream, hair bands or holding money. Anything that guarantees stability without hurting your plant will do.
The way of planting aloe vera in the water is very simple, although it requires greater care. The root will not exceed the limits of the pot and, if you want, you can put it in the soil.
How to plant aloe on banana
A somewhat unusual method, but one that guarantees several nutrients for the plant, is to use bananas as a base for planting.
To apply the technique of planting aloe on banana, do the following:
- Make a hole in one side of the banana.
- Insert the seedling in this space.
- Dig a hole in the earth with enough space to fit the fruit.
- Finally, put the banana, lying down, in that hole and cover with earth.
Did you like the tips on how to plant aloe vera?
In case you still have any doubts about the methods, here is a video of how to plant aloe that is worth checking out:
In addition to it, you can also search for other video options on how to plant aloe on YouTube. The important thing is that the plant can have its space in the sun and its land fertilized to grow well and you can enjoy all its benefits.
Did you like the tips on how to plant aloe vera? Do you have any suggestions or criticism? Write your answer in the comments!