Transforming backyards or large grounds into beautiful landscapes, playgrounds or sports fields is a task that requires time and patience, especially if the search is for a beautiful garden. And what better way to start than by planting the ideal lawn?
Many people have doubts or do not know how to plant grass, so they end up spending a lot of money on hiring third parties. Therefore, we came to help by giving some tips on how to plant the lawn on your own.
A practical guide to planting different types of grass
How to plant São Carlos grass
To start the tips on how to plant grass, you must first choose the type of lawn most suitable for your garden, since they have different peculiarities and costs.
One of the most used types of lawn, São Carlos grass is known for resisting trampling and always remains green.
In addition, it adapts well to any climate and reaches a maximum of 15 cm. It grows best in fertile, moist soil and in places with full sun or half shade.
The planting of this type of grass is usually done by plates. Read below for instructions on how to plant São Carlos grass:
- Before starting planting, it is necessary to clean the land. Remove all boulders, trash and weeds.
- Then, it is necessary to leave the land nourished and, although each one has its specific needs, the recommendation is to use NPK 20-5-20, so it is possible to balance the nutrients and make the land suitable for planting.
- Fit the grasses, or seedlings, close to each other, to fill the entire space.
- Finally, just water the grass and maintain frequent watering, daily, for an entire month after planting, as this helps in the development of the lawn.
How to plant grass emerald
Emerald grass is also one of the most used types of lawn. Because it adapts well in sunny places, it is very present in playgrounds, sports fields, condominiums and open land.
However, although it is excellent for sports fields such as football, emerald grass cannot handle frequent trampling, so it is not suitable for passing areas, such as paths.
It is also important to note that this type of lawn needs to be watered constantly. Therefore, it is recommended to use an automatic irrigation system.
This type of lawn can also be planted in two ways: from the seedlings or by the arrangement of boards. So there are two ways on how to plant emerald grass.
How to plant grass emerald on plates
The emerald grass is planted commonly using slabs. They can come in rolls or rugs, but the price and quality are the same. Here are the steps on how to plant emerald grass into slabs:
- The ground must be clean, without stones, weeds or others. If it is poor, it is recommended that it be nourished before planting.
- When unloading the grass, place the tiles side by side and not forming a big pile.
- Note that it may have a dry appearance, but what dried out were the leaves during transport. However, there is no need to water them, as the roots will be firm and strong.
- It is not necessary to place the plates glued together. The spacing can be up to 5 cm, as it will be quickly filled in a short time, as the grass settles and begins to grow.
- Water the emerald grass every 100 meters of planting. Do not wait to finish planting and place the plates on the ground to start watering. Especially if it’s a very dry and hot day.
How to plant emerald grass in seedlings
The use of emerald grass seedlings for planting is much cheaper than that of slabs. However, seedlings require a long time to germinate and establish themselves.
In addition, grass growth can occur unwantedly. It can grow irregularly and not uniformly.
The procedure for planting with seedlings does not differ much from what is done with the plates. The difference in how to plant grass with seedlings is at the time of cultivation:
- Make the holes in the ground, large enough for the seedlings to fit.
- The distance between the seedlings must be 30 cm, both vertically and horizontally. This measure is ideal for the good development of the seedlings, thus, they do not overlap each other and cover the ground better.
- Spray the lawn with some soil. In this way, the grass will have an ally in retaining moisture, essential for its growth.
- Like the plates, it is important to water the seedlings. They must be watered constantly, every day, during the first fortnight after planting. After that period, they can be watered every 2 or 4 days.
How to plant emerald grass in a rut
The ravine, or slope, is an inclined plane between two or more levels of the terrain. Present especially close to the highways, the ravines are usually covered by emerald grass.
However, planting differs somewhat from the two other forms of planting. Instead of fertilizing and then planting the lawn, the procedure is done in reverse. This is because the slope of the ravine causes the product to roll out of the planting area.
The steps on how to plant grass in a rut are:
- First plant the grass in the ravine. After it is already sprouted and rooted, apply the fertilizer in liquid form.
- During planting, align the plates or rugs, side by side, always making sure they are aligned so that they are well uniform.
- Then, attach a bamboo stake approximately 20 centimeters, near the top edge of the board.
- Finally, just add the spacing between the plates with earth,
- The irrigation of the grass must be done constantly for a period of thirty days.
How to plant grass on a concrete floor
A very frequent question when it comes to planting grass is whether there is a possibility that it will be planted on concrete floors. The answer is yes.
However, there needs to be room for natural grass to grow, especially because of the roots. Therefore, the most suitable grass to be planted on top of the concrete floor is synthetic.
The steps on how to plant synthetic grass are below:
- First, cleaning the surface must be carried out.
- Next, you will need a can of glue, which must be punctured with a material that can pierce its surface. However, it is important that they are not too large to prevent it from exceeding the amount of glue needed.
- Then apply the glue to the floor using the container.
- Then, position the synthetic grass and make the cutouts The synthetic grass must be properly positioned in order to facilitate the installation speed and avoid unnecessary cuts.
- After drying is finished, join the seams and press well so that all parts are together.
How to plant grass in the sand
The most practical solution of how to plant grass in the sand is to overlay a layer of soil. But it is only viable if there is enough height for it.
After placing the earth on the sand, it is necessary to level the ground, only then to carry out the planting of the grass.
Care must be the same as the other tips: clean the ground well and eliminate weeds and stones. Prepare the soil, ensuring that it is fertile and nourished.
Then just plant the seedlings or install the grass slabs, respecting the spacing.
How to plant grass on the sidewalk
The planting of grass on the sidewalk is a procedure that beautifies the house’s facade and allows the construction of a small external garden. It is possible to plant the grass on the sidewalk using the same techniques as the previous tips.
In addition, a suggestion is that the planting be carried out on concrete plates called pisogram. Thus, it is possible to have a green sidewalk that will not be damaged by the passage of people and is aesthetically pleasing.
How to plant grass on terrain with stones
It is not impossible to have a garden on rocky terrain, however, the plants for this type of soil must be creeping or plants that need little water, because the formation of this type of soil prevents further leakage of liquids.
A great type of lawn for rocky terrain is Korean grass. It is at most 15 cm high, uncut. The steps on how to plant grass on stone ground are simple:
- First a small hole is made at the planting site
- Then, just insert the clod with substrate, avoiding destroying the soil.
To conclude the tips, it is important to note that the grass needs a lot of attention. It must be watered frequently and cannot be trampled, as this affects not only the shape of the plant, but its health.
Did you like the tips on how to plant grass? Do you have any suggestions or criticisms to make? Write in the comments!